Ah, to be a child of famous actors! What a wonderful upbringing it must be to have a wildly talented parent or parents to introduce you to a world of Hollywood glamor and privilege!
On the other hand, it must be awkward and difficult growing up in the limelight.
For example, Maude and Iris Apatow, the daughters of Leslie Mann and Jewish director Judd Apatow, made their acting debut in their father’s movie “Knocked Up,” at ages 10 and 5.
Still, the pair seem to be well-adjusted and have a good sense of humor about being in the public eye. Now 24 and 19, Maude and Iris have grown into their own creative projects!!
They’ve grown up so much!!
Here are 18 things to know about these two sisters:
1. Maude and Iris were born to a Jewish father and a mother who had a “‘WASPy’ upbringing.” (ICYMI: Yes, their parents are Leslie Mann and Judd Apatow.)
Here they are as a lovely family, Zac Efron included:
2. As kids, they appeared in three of their dad’s movies — “Knocked Up,” “Funny People,” and “This is 40” — playing their mom’s character’s daughters in all three.
3. They refer to their dad as a “Hollywood Dick,” and don’t think he’s funny, as Judd explains in this 2017 interview with Conan:
4. They’re not afraid to make fun of their dad on social media. Take this 2018 Instagram post from Iris:
5. Maude studied theater at Northwestern University, but dropped out after her sophomore year.
6. Iris graduated from high school in 2021, and naturally Maude made a TikTok about it:
7. From 2017-2018, Iris starred in Netflix’s “Love” as Arya, a child actress. It’s Iris’ first appearance in one of her dad’s projects without her sister.
8. By nature of being the older sister, Maude has more acting gigs under her belt: She’s been in “Girls,” “Other People,” “The House of Tomorrow,” “Assassination Nation,” and even starred in her dad’s 2020 film “The King of Staten Island.”
Here’s a scene alongside co-star Pete Davidson:
9. Here’s Iris posing with some very colorful bagels:
10. “Knocked Up” and “This is 40” are, in part, inspired by their family.
Apatow explains, “We try and tap into the arguments they have in real life.”
And a profile of the Mann-Apatow family explains about their expanded role in “This is 40”: “Though [Maude and Iris] have all but grown up on their father’s movie sets, this latest assignment could be a more problematic blend of fact and fiction, and open them up to critiques that grown-ups are more accustomed to.”
11. On a more random note, Iris starred in Finn Wolfhard’s (of “Stranger Things” fame) music video Sonora.
You can check it out here:
12. Check out Maude and Judd taking this father/daughter test:
13. It looks like Maude once went to a very interesting bar mitzvah:
I never got into a fistfight at that bar mitzvah. Instead, I got food poisoning!
— Maude Apatow (@maudeapatow) December 7, 2011
14. Iris is friends with pop sensation Olivia Rodrigo:
15. Maude just wrote and directed a short film called “Don’t Mind Alice,” which premiered at the 2018 Santa Barbara Film Festival.
Look at how proud her dad is of her:
16. This classic scene of the sisters arguing over “Lost” from “This is 40” was based on a real-life fight between the two sisters.
17. Iris is set to star in an upcoming film from her father called “The Bubble.”
18. Maude is currently starring in “Euphoria” as Lexi Howard, who is revealed to have Jewish heritage!
You can watch the second season trailer below: