If there’s one non-Jewish thing that lives in our brain rent-free, it’s the 2008 teen rom-com “Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.”
As the title suggests, it’s pretty perfect: Coming from the director of also perfect movie “Bend It Like Beckham,” there’s all the teen drama and awkwardness one could ever need. Plus, it’s all wrapped up in the endearing lesson that young girls don’t have to change themselves for the boys they like.
Though there is only one Jewish aspect of the movie, it’s pretty stellar: Actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who plays the charming and extremely crush-worthy Robbie Jennings is Jewish!
Here are 18 things to know about Aaron Taylor-Johnson:
1. Aaron Taylor-Johnson (née Johnson) was born in 1990 in High Wycombe, England to a family with Jewish heritage.
2. His birthday is June 13, making him a Gemini!
3. He’s of English and Russian-Jewish descent.
4. Aaron started acting at the age of 6!
5. In a 2022 interview with fellow Jewish actor Andrew Garfield, Aaron revealed that he’s always been captivated by actors being able to change themselves. It even affected his decision to pursue acting:
“That was always a big part of it for me, how those people can transform, look and move differently, they’re not just sounding different with their accent, they start to walk differently, laugh differently, smile differently. You can change every bit of you,” Aaron said.
6. His education includes the Holmer Green Senior School and the Jackie Palmer Stage School.
7. At school he studied drama, tap, jazz, acrobatics and singing!
8. Here’s a very swoon-y scene between Georgia (Georgia Groome) and Robbie (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) in “Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging,” just because:
9. In 2010, Aaron starred in “Kick-Ass” as the titular superhero Kick-Ass.
Please enjoy this clip from the film:
10. Aaron married director Sam Taylor-Johnson in 2012. They met around 2009, when Aaron starred in Sam’s film “Nowhere Boy.”
Check out the trailer here:
11. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a snack, so please enjoy this video of him eating snacks:
12. In “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” Aaron played Pietro Maximoff, or Quicksilver, a canonically Romani Jewish superhero and twin brother to Wanda Maximoff aka The Scarlet Witch.
Check out all of his scenes in the Marvel film:
13. He likes to post photos of himself jumping!
14. His favorite actor is fellow British Jew Daniel Day-Lewis.
15. Aaron won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in 2017 for his portrayal of Ray Marcus in “Nocturnal Animals.”
Check out his acceptance speech below:
16. Someone once said his beard made him resemble a fashionable Hasidic Jew.
“That was nice because I have really curly hair and also I’m Jewish,” he told the Guardian.
17. In 2022 he starred in “Bullet Train” alongside fellow Jewish actor Logan Lerman.
Here’s some bloody BTS content:
18. Aaron has been cast as Sergei Kravinoff, or Kraven the Hunter, in Marvel’s upcoming “Kraven the Hunter” film.