If you’re a follower of the Ryan Murphy cult, or maybe a Mia Goth fan who happened to notice the strikingly handsome projectionist in “Pearl,” then you might already know who David Corenswet is. He’s got a noticeably old-Hollywood look to him that has quickly made him an internet heartthrob. Oh, and did we mention he’s Jewish?
Here are 18 things to know about the David Corenswet.
1. David Packard Corenswet was born on July 8, 1993 in Philadelphia to two lawyers. His father John Corenswet, who is Jewish, used to act before he was a lawyer.
2. He’s a Cancer!
3. This is what he looked like as a kid:
3. He’s been acting for a long time! As a child, David was in several plays.
4. His family has a long history in the New Orleans Jewish community! David’s paternal family has belonged to Louisiana’s oldest Reform synagogue, Temple Sinai, for many generations.
5. He has a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Juilliard. (He started college at the University of Pennsylvania before transferring to the performing arts conservatory.) Damn!
6. David is set to star in the upcoming Superman movie in 2025. While he may be the first Jewish actor to play Superman, the character has always been Jewish. The original comic was created by two Jewish teenagers who envisioned the superhero as the ultimate Nazi fighter.
7. Superman is David’s first leading role! The Jewish actor has played some memorable parts in the past, acting in two Ryan Murphy shows and in “Pearl”!
David and his co-star Mia Goth!
8. He predicted his future role in 2019! In a 2019 interview with Entertainment Weekly, Corenswet said,”my pie-in-the-sky ambition is definitely to play Superman. I would love to see somebody do an upbeat, throwback [take on Superman].”
9. He looks remarkably like fellow actor Henry Cavill…
When it was announced that Corenswet would supersede Cavill, Superman fans were quick to point out that they two bear a striking resemblance to each other. Corenswet noticed it too, but is eager to take Batman in a lighter direction:
“I love the Henry Cavill dark and gritty take, but I would love to see the next one be very bright and optimistic,” he said to Entertainment Weekly.
10. David’s maternal grandfather created the “Choose Your Own Adventure“ book series!
12. He guest starred on “House of Cards” in 2018! And was in the 2022 HBO drama “We Own This City.” AND 2022 Netflix rom-com with Lili Reinhart. Quite the resumé!
13. Like many of us, David had the brutal realization that his aunt’s matzah balls, were, in fact, not a treasured family recipe.
“We just discovered over Passover that her special recipe for matzo balls, which are the greatest matzo balls you’ve ever had in your life, is actually just the recipe on the back of the Manischewitz matzo ball mix box,” he told MTV News in 2020.
Is this a universal Jewish kid realization? Sure feels like it!
14. Corenswet is interested in all the parts of movie-making beyond acting.
In an MTV interview he stated, “I love the cinematography aspect, I love sound recording, I love the art director who’s in charge of everything, making sure everything runs on time. It all converged on this strange path of being an actor and, hopefully, at some point, a director.” He already has an executive producer credit on the second season of “The Politician”!
15. He had a rabbi and a priest at his 2023 wedding! Corenswet’s wife is Catholic, and the couple wanted a wedding that combined both of their identities. So, despite the wedding taking place in a church, the couple still had a chuppah!
16. Please enjoy this photo of David and his rabbi at his wedding rehearsal dinner.
17. He’s a dog person and he’s got an adorable pup to prove it!
18. He is pretty private. There are no photos of his wife on social media, but JTA reports that his wife is also an actor and the couple are currently living in Philadelphia.