Actor Rivkah Reyes is probably most well known for their portrayal of Katie the bassist in the 2003 smash hit “School of Rock.” But just because you may not have thought about that movie in a while doesn’t mean Rivkah hasn’t been busy. Most recently, they started their own podcast, are making a very spooky short film and are starring in a movie which just premiered at Sundance 2023. Plus, they’ve done it all while being true to their badass, witchy, queer Filipinx-Jewish self.
So, without further ado, here are 18 things to know about Rivkah Reyes.
1. Rivkah Reyes was born on August 18, 1992 in Chicago to an Ashkenazi Jewish father and a Filipina mother.
2. Their pronouns are they/she (but mostly they), and they are trans nonbinary.
3. Rivkah has gone on a long (and very Jewish) journey with their name. You can hear all about it on their podcast “Where Are They Now”:
4. They were a very cute kid. Just look:
6. They picked up a guitar when they were 4 years old and have been performing ever since.
7. Because of their role in “School of Rock,” every time Rivkah sees a girl bassist, they can’t help but think they may have played a part in making that happen!
Now let’s watch a clip of the movie, just because:
8. They auditioned for the role by playing “American Woman” by fellow Jew of Color Lenny Kravitz on a kid-sized electric guitar!
9. They were given the nickname Reeba Deeba by fellow Jewish actor Jack Black!
10. Rivkah has remained close with numerous “School of Rock” actors. This included Jewish actor Kevin Clark, who played Freddy Jones, until he tragically passed away in 2021.
11. Rivkah has complicated feelings about “School of Rock.”
In an essay they penned titled “Confessions of an Obsolete Child Actor,” they wrote, “Let me preface this by saying that I am absolutely grateful for the experience as a whole.” Still, they went on to discuss how they were bullied (outside of their group of castmate friends), felt immense pressure from their parents and were sexualized by adults as a child.
12. Their Jewish grandma Audrey was so, so lovely:
13. In case you’re wondering how they knew they were gay, here’s the answer:
14. Rivkah is also a musician and a comedian. Check out this original song they performed at Chicago’s Second City:
15. AND, they perform tarot and Akashic records readings!
16. According to their website, they can do numerous impressions, including Jewish celebs Barbra Streisand, Idina Menzel and Natasha Lyonne.
17. They’re in the process of making their own short film, “Gianna.” Learn more about it here:
18. In their most recent film, “Onyx the Fortuitous and the Talisman of Souls,” which premiered at Sundance 2023, they star as Mack.