In 2020, Jewish writer Anna Winger created the smash-hit Netflix show “Unorthodox,” introducing American audiences to fantastic Israeli actors like Shira Haas and Amit Rahav. Now, Winger’s latest project, “Transatlantic,” has hit Netflix.
Loosely based on reality, “Transatlantic” tells the story of American journalist Varian Fry (who would later be given the title of “Righteous Among the Nations” by the state of Israel) and the Emergency Rescue Committee as they work to save anti-Nazi dissidents and Jewish refugees in Europe. Yes, it really is as Jewish and exciting as it sounds. Check out the trailer:
To Winger, casting was more complex than just finding actors who could play the part. Rather, she actively sought to cast Jewish actors. On whether or not casting Jewish actors was an intentional choice, Winger told Kveller, “Yes. I think it matters. With ‘Unorthodox,’ there was no question — we only cast Jewish actors in the roles that were Jewish characters. And we did that this time, too.”
Enter Deleila Piasko, the Swiss Jewish actress starring in “Transatlantic” as Lisa Fittko.
Here are 18 things to know about Deleila Piasko.
1. Deleila was born on May 2, 1991 to a Jewish family in Switzerland.
2. That makes her a Taurus!
3. In Hebrew, her name means “delicate” and is most commonly associated with the biblical Delila, lover of Samson.
4. As a child, Deleila attended a Jewish kindergarten.
5. She studied acting at the Ernst Busch Academy of Dramatic Arts in Berlin.
6. Her first professional film role was in the 2004 Swiss movie “Sternenberg.”
7. According to her resume, she does the following sports: acrobatics, fencing, snowboarding, dance sport and tennis.
8. Deleila has said that acting is a form of therapy for her.
9. She speaks German, French and English.
10. In 2016 she was in a production of “Anne Frank” at the Konzert Theater Bern.
11. From 2019 until 2022 she was an ensemble member of the Burgtheater in Vienna.
12. In 2022, she starred in the movie “Stasi Comedy” alongside German actor David Kross, best known for his performance in the movie “The Reader.”
13. On TV, she has had roles in the European shows “Agent Hamilton,” “The Ibiza Affair” and “Das Weiße Haus am Rhein.”
14. She does an incredible impression of a rabbi:
15. In “Transatlantic,” Deleila plays the character Lisa Fittko. In real life, Fittko was a Jewish Austro-Hungarian activist who among many others, helped save German Jewish philosopher Walter Benjamin. In order to prepare for the role, Deleila told an interviewer that she read as much as she could about Lisa.
16. Deleila has expressed gratitude for being a part of “Transatlantic.”
“I‘m thankful to be a part of this project. In times like ours we are reminded, that war is not fiction,” she wrote on Instagram.
17. About “Transatlantic” Deleila has said, “Man muss nicht unbedingt jüdisch sein, um dafür Empathie aufzubringen,” meaning “one doesn’t have to be Jewish to empathize with the story.”
18. She looked stunning at the “Transatlantic” premiere!