Let’s face it: 2022 has been a tough year to be Jewish. High-profile incidents of antisemitism have been happening more and more, from the hostage situation in Colleyville to basically everything Kanye West has said over the last few months.
Thus, it is all the more special when high-profile Jews combat antisemitism by being publicly and proudly Jewish — and perhaps one of the most proudly Jewish mainstream celebrities out there is Jewish singer and pop-rock star Pink.
Here are 18 things to know about Pink.
1. Pink was born on September 8, 1979 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania to a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father.
2. ICYMI, Pink is her stage name! Her real name is Alecia Beth Moore Hart.
3. When speaking about her heritage, Pink has described herself as an “Irish-German-Lithuanian-Jew.”
4. Here! Have an adorable photo of Pink and her Jewish mom:
By the way, her mom’s name is Judith Kugel, which we think is a perfectly, deliciously Jewish name.
5. Pink was a competitive gymnast from ages 4 through 12!
6. Pink got her start in music at the age of 14 when she began performing in clubs in Philadelphia! She also started going by “Pink” around this time.
7. Pink’s debut album “Can’t Take Me Home” debuted in April 2000, and her sophomore album “Missundaztood” came out in November 2001 to critical success.
8. Pink has won three Grammy awards — she earned her first in the category of Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals alongside Christina Aguilera, Mýa and Lil’ Kim for their cover of “Lady Marmalade.”
9. Pink has released eight albums total, including “Funhouse,” “The Truth About Love” and “Beautiful Trauma.”
10. Pink has been praised both as a “style icon” for her adventurous fashion sense and for her “strong signature voice” and “solid songwriting ability.”
11. Pink proposed to her now-husband Carey Hart! She popped the question by writing “Will You Marry Me? I’m serious!” on a pit board during one of Carey’s races in 2005. The couple married on January 7, 2006.
12. Pink and Carey separated between 2008 and 2010, inspiring Pink’s song “So What.”
Carey even appeared in the music video:
13. Pink and Carey have two children: Willow Sage and Jameson Moon.
14. In 2021, Pink shared a video of her family lighting the Hanukkah candles in which she and Willow beautifully chant the Hanukkah blessings. It’s a profoundly Jewish moment you absolutely have to see:
15. In the music video for her song “Irrelevant,” Pink took on neo-Nazis. Just watch:
16. In November 2022, Pink made kugel on TikTok Live! During the live, she also said that her dream Jewish meal is fluffy matzah ball soup made from scratch, fried latkes, kugel and fresh warm challah. Yum!
Here’s her mom’s recipe:
17. For Hanukkah 2022, Pink performed her iconic song “Get the Party Started” with Dave Grohl for his Hanukkah Sessions:
18. Pink’s ninth studio album “Trustfall” is scheduled to come out in February 2023! However, she’s already released the single “Never Gonna Not Dance Again.”