If you’re into hot celebrity news, you may know that Demi Lovato recently got engaged to Jewish cutie Max Ehrich. Aside from winning Demi’s heart — a big feat — Ehrich is actually a super accomplished, multi-talented dancer/actor/singer and chances are that even if you don’t know his name, you’ve seen him in something before.
So here are 18 things you need to know about Max Ehrich, who is truly just very impressive to us (and Demi Lovato).
1. Max was born to Rhonda, a schoolteacher, and Bruce Ehrich, who currently works for the New York Department of Environmental Protection, in Malboro Township, New Jersey on June 24, 1991. He has an older brother, Matt, who is an investment banker. Here’s a picture of cute little Max:
And here’s a cute photo of Max, Rhonda, Bruce and Matt:
Celebrating with my beautiful family 😘❤️ pic.twitter.com/eZv2FYyDJT
— rhonda ehrich (@EhrichRhonda) November 1, 2017
2. Both of Max’s parents are Jewish. Rhonda’s father, Dr. Sidney Green, an optometrist, was born in Massachusetts and served in the Korean War. He moved to New Jersey in 1992 and was a Gabbai at Congregation Oheb Shalom in Marlboro, N.J. Bruce’s father, Arnold, was born in Newark and also a Korean war veteran. He was a member of the Men’s Club of Temple Beth-El Mekor Chayim in Cranford, N.J.
3. Speaking of Max’s mom, Rhonda: Her social media presence is very cute! She’s on Facebook and Instagram and spends a lot of time gushing over Max’s career and achievements and posting sweet pictures of her parents, may their memories be for a blessing. When Max and Demi got engaged, she posted about it on social media, saying she was “over the moon.” Aw!
Over the moon happy for Max and our future daughter Demi!May your lives sine with light and love always❤️ pic.twitter.com/5y4hMGa0Jw
— rhonda ehrich (@EhrichRhonda) July 23, 2020
4. And now to Max’s career, which, as we mentioned above, is long and prolific. Max started dancing when he was really young at a local dance studio. As the studio head told CentralJersey.com, he was the only male student when he started there, but that did not deter him. Max also attended the Professional Performing Arts School in New York City. While his passion and drive were strong, it wasn’t easy for him to be an artistic teen in a small New Jersey town; he has opened up on Instagram about having suicidal ideations after being bullied at 15.
5. Max started his dance career at age 12 or 13 as a Knick City Kid, dancing and breakdancing during weekend Knicks games.
6. Around that time Max also had his bar mitzvah, as made evident by this cute tweet of the woman who sat by his mother during the event:
— Lisa Weaver (@luckylisa363) February 24, 2016
And while we cannot confirm this, this definitely looks like it could be a picture of Max and his mom at his bar mitzvah:
7. Max’s first big acting breakthrough was being cast as a principle dancer on High School Musical 3. He played Patrick, #4 on the basketball team, in the Disney Channel film franchise. Max, who was just 17 at that time and still in high school, recalls being star-struck by Zac Efron, and also engaging in many water balloon fights with the rest of the cast.
8. Max really got to show off his acting chops on The Young and the Restless, where he played Fenmore Baldwin and earned four Daytime Emmy nominations for the role. Here is one of his Emmy nomination reels. You’re welcome:
9. Max also has two other Emmy nominations, one for his role in the Lifetime movie The Pregnancy Pact, and another for his guest role on NBC’s Parenthood. Max also had small roles in Ugly Betty and iCarly:
And, of course, as all actors must, he had a guest role on Law and Order: SVU.
10. Max’s Instagram may be a treasure trove of incredible photos, but he’s also pretty careful about what he posts there. That’s because back in 2018, an obsessed fan pulled a gun on Max after he rebuffed his sexual advances. Max was apparently stalked by the fan, who was a realtor, on Instagram for months. He later posted on his Instagram urging his fans to be careful with what they post on the social media platform and to never share their location.
11. After his big TV success in TYATR (that’s The Young and the Restless, for those not soap-obsessed), Max got to star in other epic TV shows, like Under the Dome, where he played hacker Hunter May. Here’s a fanvid — yes, you need it:
He also starred in The Path, where he played opposite Aaron Paul, and in Embeds, a show about young political embeds.
12. Now’s a good time to start talking about Max’s musical career, because he is a very passionate musician. Through the years, Max has posted many videos of himself singing on Instagram, starting in 2013:
Also, very importantly: In 2016, he recorded a series of duets with famed “Friday” singer Rebecca Black. Here’s their collaboration on “Baby, It’s Cold Outside”:
In 2019, he released his first single, “Somebody Else”:
13. Max’s latest movie role let him also show off his musical chops. Max plays Tate Watkins in Walk. Ride. Rodeo., a biopic about paraplegic rodeo rider Amberley Snyder. Max composed an original song called “Ride” with Amberley for the movie. It’s pretty darn moving!
14. Max had a role in another Lifetime production, American Princess — about an American “princess” from New York who finds out her (Jewish, we assume, his name is Brett Weinbaum) fiancé is cheating on her on their (very publicized — Gwyneth Paltrow is a guest) wedding day, and then runs away to join… a Renaissance Fair. Sadly it was canceled after one season.
15. Throughout the years, Max has posted a lot of Jewish holiday messages on social media. Please enjoy:
It's been eight crazy nights. ✌️
— Max Ehrich (@maxehrich) December 24, 2014
Happy Jewish New Year! #RoshHashanah
— Max Ehrich (@maxehrich) September 20, 2017
Shana Tova. Let's have an epic year!
— Max Ehrich (@maxehrich) September 4, 2013
16. …But back in 2013, Max identified as Buddhist in a soaps.com interview. Whatever religion he ascribes to, Max definitely appears to believe in God, and touts his spirituality on social media. He writes about praying, and also posted this graphic on Instagram that starts a little like Modeh Ani, the Jewish morning prayer of gratitude:
16. Max and Demi probably started dating around early March of 2020. They first revealed their relationship by accident — at the end of March, Max performed some songs on Instagram Live when a freshly showered Demi accidentally walked into the frame. It’s a very cute video:
17. The two later made their relationship Instagram official in May 2020, when she posted a video of the two of them together dancing as part of a cameo in Justin Beiber and Ariana Grande’s “Stuck With U” video — which features participants filming themselves in quarantine with the people they’re “stuck with” to raise funds for first responders.
You can watch the whole music video here:
18. “Crash Into Me” by the Dave Matthews Band was playing when he proposed to Demi in Malibu. Also, it looks… perfect? Congrats Demi and Max.
Photo by Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic/Getty Images