If you don’t know who Omer Fedi is, that’s not a problem. Imagine a younger, Israeli Jack Antonoff with firetruck red hair — but instead of writing indie pop, Omer is churning out some of the best hip-hop and R&B hits of the last few years.
Here are 18 things to know about Israeli musician Omer Fedi.
1. Omer was born in Tel Aviv to Jewish parents.
2. Omer’s father is Asher Fedi, a well-respected Israeli drummer. In an interview with Billboard, Omer described his father as “the biggest drummer ever in Israel.”
3. Omer has two brothers, Guy and Ben. Please enjoy this cute family photo at Ben’s bar mitzvah:
4. Omer was inspired to start playing guitar by the Nickelodeon TV show “Drake & Josh,” naturally.
He had already started playing drums, taught by his father, but switched to guitar after seeing the show. He also started focusing on guitar after realizing that “guitar players get more girls than drummers.”
5. At 16 years old, Omer moved with his dad to Los Angeles to seek out more opportunities in the music industry. He enrolled at Calabasas High School and continued to improve his musical chops by performing with the jazz ensemble there.
Check out this video of the Calabasas High School jazz ensemble with what appears to be a young Omer playing guitar. (Around 4:00 minutes in you can hear him soloing!!)
6. When Omer moved the United States, he was failing his English class in Israel.
In spite of this, Omer’s mentality was: “I’m going to meet a musician somehow, and we’ll figure it out.”
Figure it out he did!
7. In 2018, Omer won the “Outstanding Performer Award” at the 2018 Reno Jazz Festival, where he was competing against 9,000 other young musicians.
8. Omer’s first big hit as a writer was on Ella Mai’s hit single “Naked.”
The song came to be after Omer was introduced to songwriter Sam Hook.
“I had never produced or written a song, but we just started writing together, and soon I’d go to his house every day after school,” Omer told MTV News.
Very cool and not intimidating at all that he helped write this as a teenager…
9. Omer is signed with Universal Music Publishing Group.
Here’s the exciting moment he put pen to paper:
NEW SIGNING 🚨 We are thrilled to welcome Grammy-nominated producer, multi-instrumentalist and writer, Omer Fedi to the UMPG fam! 🎉 Known for writing and producing hits like Ella Mai’s “Naked,” Omer has a bright future ahead and we are excited to support his journey!⚡ pic.twitter.com/WuzLUZLCL2
— Universal Music Publishing Group (@UMPG) March 12, 2020
10. He was included on XXL’s list of the “Best Hip-Hop Producers of 2020.” Mazels, Omer!!
11. In July 2020 he co-wrote and performed on 24kGoldn’s chart-topping hit “Mood.”
12. He flexed his acting chops as an extra in Machine Gun Kelly’s 49-minute long music video of his album “Downfalls High.”
Hint, be on the lookout for some really red hair around 16 minutes in:
13. One of Omer’s biggest hits was “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” by Lil Nas X! He wrote, produced and played guitar on this incredible track.
14. Omer has performed on Saturday Night Live!
In May 2021, he played acoustic guitar alongside musical guest Miley Cyrus and The Kid LAROI for their performance of “Without You.”
You can see Omer in Miley’s behind-the-scenes footage… once again, just look for the red hair:
15. In addition to the already impressive list of musicians he’s written for, Omer has also worked with Juice WRLD, Trevor Daniel, Yungblud and Justin Bieber.
16. Speaking of Justin Bieber…
Omer produced LAROI and Justin Bieber’s single “Stay,” which hit #1 on The Billboard Hot 100.
17. Omer is currently dating TikTok star and “He’s All That” actress Addison Rae.
Check out these steamy IG comments confirming their relationship:
18. Omer is a self-proclaimed “Grammy nominated loser.”
“Naked,” the single he co-wrote, was nominated in the Best R&B Album category at the 62nd Grammy Awards as part of Ella Mai’s self-titled debut album.