Jewish actress Tommy Dorfman first garnered public attention in 2017 for her role in the show “13 Reasons Why.” Yes, for her acting prowess, but also for her style, charisma and care for social justice issues.
Since then, Tommy has shared so much more of herself with the world.
Thus, now is the perfect time to share 18 things to know about Tommy Dorfman!
1. Tommy was born in Atlanta, Georgia, to a Jewish family.
2. In a recent interview with TIME Magazine, Tommy announced publicly that she is a trans woman and uses she/her/hers pronouns.
“It’s funny to think about coming out, because I haven’t gone anywhere,” she said in the interview. “I view today as a reintroduction to me as a woman, having made a transition medically. Coming out is always viewed as this grand reveal, but I was never not out. Today is about clarity: I am a trans woman. My pronouns are she/her. My name is Tommy.”
Here is the gorgeous Instagram post where she reintroduces herself to the world:
And you can watch Tommy further discuss her gender identity in this video for TIME:
3. Tommy’s name is extremely important to her, and she has no plans to change it.
“I’m named after my mom’s brother who passed a month after I was born, and I feel very connected to that name, to an uncle who held me as he was dying,” Tommy explained. “This is an evolution of Tommy. I’m becoming more Tommy.”
4. In her own words, Tommy was “the gayest baby.”
You were also clearly the cutest, Tommy!!
5. Tommy’s cousin is Andi Dorfman, the first Jewish Bachelorette! Here’s a tweet from when Andi attended Tommy’s college graduation:
— Andi Dorfman (@AndiDorfman) May 16, 2015
6. Speaking of college, Tommy attended Fordham University in New York City and received her Bachelor’s Degree in theatre arts.
7. Tommy’s breakout role was as Ryan Shaver in Netflix’s wildly popular drama “13 Reasons Why.”
If you haven’t already seen it, watch the trailer below:
8. In 2017 (before she publicly identified as a trans woman), Tommy was awarded GLAAD’s Rising Star Award:
Check out her acceptance speech:
9. Tommy has an adorable dog named Dabbs!
BRB, following Dabbs on Instagram immediately.
10. In 2019 Tommy took on the role of Max in Jeremy O. Harris’ off-Broadway play “Daddy.” You can hear her talk about the experience here:
11. In 2020 Tommy starred in the FreeForm show “Love in the Time of Corona” as Oscar.
Please enjoy this particularly dramatic scene where the character Elle confesses her love for Oscar!
12. Tommy was a contestant (and guest judge) on perhaps one of the most iconic “Snatch Game” episodes of “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars.” Check it out:
Personally, we would’ve chosen Miz Cracker, but we understand. The heart wants what the heart wants!
13. While admitting that “no politician is perfect,” Tommy voted for Jewish millennial Jon Ossoff in his 2021 Georgia Senate race.
Here’s her Instagram post about him:
14. Tommy is a fan of the 2021 movie “Zola,” directed by Black Jewish director Janicza Bravo.
Swipe to see them together and looking amazing!
15. Tommy is EIGHT YEARS SOBER! Here’s her Instagram post about that milestone:
Once again, mazel tov, Tommy!
16. After violence flared up in Israel-Palestine, Tommy shared this post in solidarity with Palestinians on Instagram:
17. Tommy would be perfect as Maria in a “The Sound of Music” reboot and this TikTok proves it:
the hilllls are alive
The hills are alive and we’re living for it!!
18. Tommy will appear in Lena Dunham’s upcoming independent film, “Sharp Stick,” which is the first time she’s been cast as a woman. She described the experience as “exciting” and “validating.”