Hey Alma is hiring! We’re looking for a Deputy Managing Editor to join our team. This is a full-time, fully remote position with benefits (403B, Dental, Health) and a Monday-Friday, 9-5 ET (roughly) schedule. Salary range is $60-65K. Must be legally eligible to work in the United States. Details below, including how to apply.
Do you love to discuss the nuances of authentic representation in pop culture? Do your friends call you “very online”? Do you pride yourself on being able to reference classic literature and a TikTok trend in the same breath? Do you come alive working with writers to shape the best possible version of their story? Hey Alma, a digital Jewish culture publication from 70 Faces Media, is looking for a Deputy Managing Editor to join our small, collaborative team. We are looking for someone who understands and is excited by Hey Alma and eager to experiment with new ideas to help push the publication forward. The ideal candidate is an experienced editor and strong writer who appreciates Hey Alma’s playful tone and has an interest in pop culture, arts, politics, feminism, social justice and issues that impact Jews around the world. Creativity, strong attention to detail, a sharp editorial eye and the ability to stay on top of a variety of tasks are key to success at this job. Familiarity with Jewish culture and traditions is helpful. This is a full-time, remote position.
Who we are:
Hey Alma is a feminist Jewish culture publication and online community bringing you a diversity of voices. We publish daily articles about pop culture, politics, news, identity, holidays and more, all through a Jewish lens. We believe in using our platform to raise the voices of all Jews, but especially those who often don’t get heard enough in the organized Jewish world, including Jews of Color, queer Jews, Jews by choice, and Mizrahi and Sephardic Jews.
What you’ll do:
- Manage Hey Alma’s submissions inbox and make editorial decisions
- Edit content for the site from staff writers and a growing roster of freelance contributors
- Play a key role in envisioning and executing special projects, series, etc.
- Contribute to all aspects of daily production, including writing headlines, providing feedback on social content and images and helping to maintain editorial calendar
- Assist with other 70 Faces Media brands as needed
The ideal candidate will:
- be an experienced editor with a thoughtful approach to the big picture and an eagle eye for grammar and style
- be able to package stories from visuals to headline
- have significant experience writing, assigning and editing
- be someone who follows along with the discussions taking over social media and is excited to bring fresh perspectives to the forefront
- be an excellent multitasker with organizational skills
- a team player who thrives when collaborating with others and is also confident in making decisions when empowered
We Encourage You to Apply
At 70 Faces Media (Hey Alma’s parent company), we value diversity, and we encourage all to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deputy Managing Editor” in the subject line.