Marisa Abela is the next Gen Z sensation. From her starring role in “Industry” to parts in upcoming “Barbie” and “She Is Love” — plus rumors that she’ll portray Amy Winehouse in new biopic of the Jewish singer — Marisa Abela is killing it in show business, and we’re so excited to see all of her future projects!
While we wait to see what’s next for her, here are 18 things to know about Marisa Abela:
1. She was born Marisa Gabrielle Abela on December 7th, 1996, making her a Sagittarius.
2. Her father is of Libyan descent, and her mother is of Polish Jewish ancestry.
Beauty definitely runs in the family!
3. She’s besties with her big brother, Jack. She even called him “the best human being I know.”
4. She discovered her love for theater while taking drama classes at the Roedean School.
5. Marisa originally planned to pursue tzedek and become a human rights lawyer, but decided to pursue acting instead.
We’re so glad she pursued her dream so succesfully!
6. She made her television debut in 2020 playing Ellie Sutherland in the action series “COBRA.”
7. Marisa has a starring role in the BBC Two and HBO drama “Industry” as trainee banker Yasmin Kara-Hanani.
8. She’s not just a talented actress — Marisa is also a covergirl!
Marisa has been on the cover of Stylist Magazine and GQ Hype — she’s even been featured in Vogue!
9. If some recent rumors are true, Marisa is a frontrunner to play Amy Winehouse in upcoming biopic “Back to Black.”
According to a Variety article, “Abela… is of Jewish heritage, which has been important to the creative team behind the movie, in order to be as authentic as possible to Winehouse’s own background.”
10. She’s been cast in Greta Gerwig’s upcoming “Barbie” film!
We stan that casting, especially since Barbie is Jewish!
11. Marisa doesn’t shy away from social commentary. Of her role in “Industry,” she’s said:
“I see her in so many of my friends, I see her in so many young women in that she is this young woman who is waiting for permission to go after what it is she wants, rather than taking it.”
12. Marisa’s mother is Caroline Gruber, a theater actress known for the role of Mrs. Hannah Shapiro in the Jewish drama “Disobedience.”
Marisa has said of her childhood as the daughter of an actress, “I grew up in auditoriums and theaters and lighting boxes, watching show after show with the cast and crew. So, I kind of grew up in the theater as opposed to on set.”
13. She’s active on social media and often posts adorably inspirational throwback pics!
14. Marisa is always working on new projects: She’s set to appear in the film “She Is Love.”
15. She’s also featured in the crime thriller “Rogue Agent”!
16. When she’s not acting, you can find Marisa posing for portraits like the one below.
17. She’s an animal lover who adores her childhood pup, Molly!
18. At only 25, Marisa is already killing it as an actress, and we can’t wait to see what else she has in store!