Drake recently made history when his latest single, “God’s Plan,” received the most Spotify streams in a single day (dethroning Taylor Swift in the process). It also debuted at number one on the Hot 100 chart, making it only the 29th song IN HISTORY to do so.
But I’m not here to talk about Drake’s music (which is very good and I’m very proud of him). I’m here to talk about his #tbts.
Sharing #tbts might just be the most basic thing about myself, but what can I say — I was a particularly funny looking kid. And so it brings me great joy that Drake, among the pictures of expensive sneakers and famous friends, also has a penchant for sharing many, many childhood photos on the ‘gram. And not just the kind that make him look cool — like that one friend of yours who only shares throwbacks of when she was on the cheerleading team — but the kind that prove he was a dorky, awkward kid just like you and me.
Let’s take a walk down Aubrey Drake Graham’s memory lane by highlighting the best #tbts his Instagram has to offer. The official rankings below were calculated by three factors: (1) cuteness (2) clever use of caption (3) presence of his mom. Without further ado, in reverse order:
18. Baby jet plane: He was born to fly.
17. Halloween throwback: Just like your younger brother (or you!), Drake trick-or-treated as a Ninja Turtle.
16. Degrassi Days: I never watched Degrassi, but I’m really into this picture of Drake with a dude holding a watermelon so maybe I should start.
15. Canada Day: The caption says this is Biebs but I’m pretty sure that’s a joke. I did definitely think it was Macauley Culkin at first. Either way, great pic.
14. The only two loves: His bed and his mom, awwwwww.
13. Baby snow gear: It’s just so Canadian.
12. The hockey player: Speaking of being Canadian…
11. Baby Chanel: Style since year 1.
10. The guitar player: I’m mostly interested in this open collar/white cardigan situation we got going on here.
9. The ladies man: Before Rihanna there was…
8. The basketball player: Pretty sure this is a still from an after-school special about saying no to drugs or a commercial for milk.
7. The high chair: The caption wins this one.
6. Drake and Mom: Seriously the ones with his mom are just too good.
5. Canadian tuxedo: I’m guessing this is his school picture. I would have definitely drawn a heart around it.
4. The bubbe: I’m assuming this is Drake with his grandmother. Both of their facial expressions make me extremely happy.
3. The close up: The hair, the caption, the eyes.
2. The bar mitzvah sign-in board: Drake whipped this one out for his re-bar mitzvah 31st birthday party and we are just so thankful.
1. Drake & Mom & Sweater: Featuring both his mom and two truly inspirational sweaters.