Tiffany Haddish is now a woman. Well, you know, she’s been a woman. But now she’s officially a bat mitzvah! The comedian celebrated her bat mitzvah on the same day her Netflix special, Black Mitzvah, came out (which also happened to be her 40th birthday). Did you read our interview with her? Read our interview with her!
Now that the big day has come and gone, here’s everything we know about Tiffany’s bat mitzvah!
1. Sarah Silverman’s sister, Susan Silverman, was the rabbi at her bat mitzvah.
Silverman is a Reform rabbi. She moved to Israel in 2006, where she lives with her husband, Yosef Abramowitz, and their five children. It makes sense that Silverman (the rabbi) would be there for Tiffany’s bat mitzvah: Tiffany has called Silverman (the comedian) her favorite Jewish celebrity.
“I really think of her as carrying on the prophetic tradition, of just pouring out truth and justice,” Susan says about her sister, Sarah. “And she does it in a way that people want to hear. No one wanted to listen to the prophets.”
Here’s another wonderful photo:
2. Tiffany read from the Torah! Obviously! She became a bat mitzvah!
Yes, that is Billy Crystal on the right there. We need to know: DID BILLY HAVE AN ALIYAH?! Billy, if you’re reading this, let us know!! (Update: Rabbi Susan’s husband, Yosef, confirmed on Facebook that Billy did have an aliyah!!)
Okay, another image of Billy looking on like a proud dad? SURE:
And one more of Tiffany with the Torah:
3. She made her grand entrance to “Hava Nagila,” naturally.
4. She danced the hora and went up in the chair. (As Tiffany told Alma, that’s her favorite part of the bat mitzvah party!).
You can see a snippet of her party via Jason Lee’s Instagram stories (which we screen-recorded for you):
5. Tiffany had a candle lighting ceremony.
“I’m gonna do my best. I’ve prepared something, but I’m going to let my heart speak more than the words that I wrote,” she said to her friends and family.
6. Afterwards, her guests sang “Happy Birthday” (again, go watch Jason Lee’s IG stories. Thank you, Jason, for the #CONTENT!).
7. There were a ton of celebrity guests! Chelsea Handler was there:
Billy Crystal was there! (Billy Crystal and Tiffany are currently filming a movie together, Here Today, where Crystal plays a veteran comedy writer and Tiffany plays a talented street singer.)
Other guests included Sarah Silverman, Wanda Sykes, Jimmy Kimmel, Common, and many more.
And, most important, Barbra Streisand wished her mazel tov (and gifted her a Star of David necklace!):
Dear @TiffanyHaddish – mazel tov on your Bat Mitzvah! Xx B pic.twitter.com/wcteKctzPc
— Barbra Streisand (@BarbraStreisand) December 3, 2019
8. She had a signing board with her name, naturally:
(Note the large MAZEL at the bottom of the “N”!)
9. Tiffany said the hamotzi (the blessing over the bread) with Rabbi Susan.
Swipe in this Instagram story to watch:
10. There were “BLACK MITZVAH” kippahs:
All in all, it looks like it was an amazing celebration. Mazel tov, Tiffany. Just please invite us next time.
All images via Emma McIntyre / Staff / Getty Images.