Hot take alert: Jewish women are the best comedians.
And don’t worry, we have proof for this thesis. Just listen to the hilarious stylings of Jenny Slate, Ilana Glazer, Abbi Jacobson, Hannah Einbinder, Sarah Sherman (AKA Sarah Squirm), Chloe Fineman, Kate Berlant, Jaqueline Novak… need we go on?
And so, it’s unsurprising that one of the hottest up-and-coming comedians right now, Catherine Cohen, is, you guessed it, a Jewish woman!
In honor of her hilarity, and her new Netflix special, here are 18 things to know about Catherine Cohen.
1. Catherine Cohen was born in 1991 to a Jewish father and a Catholic mother.
2. Catherine identifies as half-Jewish, but she doesn’t really know what her religion is.
“My dad’s Jewish, my mom’s Catholic. I don’t know what I am. I was confirmed Catholic, and I was really Christian in high school, and then I kind of moved on,” Catherine explained in an interview, adding, “I don’t know what I am, but I believe that there is God. I just don’t know what God is.”
3. She has a brother named Billy, who’s an actor! He’s currently starring as Zelger in the national tour of “The Band’s Visit.”
Here they are together as kids:
4. As a child, Catherine “realized that she loved attention,” as evidenced by this photo:
5. But growing up, Catherine wasn’t really into comedy.
“I was much more into musical theater,” she said in an interview.
6. Growing up, Catherine attended Christian schools, but in her adulthood has “left it all behind.”
You can listen to her discuss this further on an appearance on “Late Night with Seth Meyers”:
7. Catherine studied English and theater at Princeton University, and her thesis was about “the poetry of nostalgia.”
Bonus: At her 2013 graduation, she was selected to speak at commencement:
8. After college, Catherine moved to New York City to pursue stand-up and sketch comedy, taking classes at Upright Citizens’ Brigade and the Peoples’ Improv Theater.
9. She has a great idea for a TV show:
half catholic, half jewish, 100% self-absorbed – coming this fall on cbs
— Catherine Cohen (@catcohen) August 24, 2020
10. Bette Midler is one of Catherine’s inspirations. (Excellent choice.)
11. She has a fave challah, as one does:
12. In 2018 she started a podcast called “Seek Treatment” with her friend Pat Regan.
You can listen to an excellent episode here:
13. Check out her late night television debut from 2019, where she performed on “Late Night with Seth Meyers”:
14. Catherine made her movie debut in “The Lovebirds,” starring Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani.
You can watch the trailer here:
15. In the third season of “What We Do in the Shadows,” Cat plays a siren who tempts energy vampire Colin Robinson.
Here she is in her amazing costume:
And check out the teaser for the episode:
16. She’s dating her “Dating & New York” co-star Brian Muller:
Bonus: Peep his beanie in this photo.. Could he be… a Nice Jewish Boy?
17. Catherine’s not just an actress and comedian! She’s also a writer!
Click here to read excerpts from her book, “God I Feel Modern Tonight: Poems from a Gal About Town,” and click here to read her column for W.
18. Her stand-up special “The Twist…? She’s Gorgeous” dropped on Netflix in March 2022 and has been called “wickedly funny” by critics.
Mazels, Catherine! We can’t wait to see what you do next!